Wednesday 26 June 2013

Will.i.am claims he owns the phrase "I AM" - and is suing Pharrell

Will.i.am, Pharrell, i am OTHER, The Voice
will.i.am apparently owns the rights to the phrase "I AM" and, to prove the point, he's slapped Pharrell's creative brand i am OTHER with a lawsuit.
Nope, we're deadly serious.
According to sources at Rolling Stone, Pharrell's "confusingly similar" brand has got under Will.i.am's skin - and now The Voice judge has apparently filed legal claims against his fellow musician:
"The registration of the mark . . . is likely to dilute the I AM mark and the WILL.I.AM mark."
And, while Will.i.am's camp have remained uncharacteristically quiet about the claims, Pharrell has given a statement to Rolling Stone. Unsurprisingly, he isn't too pleased about how things have panned out.
 "I am disappointed that Will, a fellow artist, would file a case against me."

 "I am someone who likes to talk things out and, in fact, I attempted to do just that on many occasions. I am surprised in how this is being handled and I am confident that Will's trademark claims will ultimately be found to be as meritless and ridiculous as I do."
Our top tip for readers is to avoid using Will.i.am's special phrase at any cost. Not even when answering the question "is anybody hungry?" It's the best, if not the only, way to keep Will off your back...

No comments:

Post a Comment