Friday 23 September 2011

Paul McCartney's Ballet Premieres in NYC

Sir Paul McCartney's debut ballet score has premiered in New York.
It is the first time the former Beatle has written an original orchestral score for dance.
The work, Ocean's Kingdom, sees Sir Paul collaborating with New York City Ballet's master in chief, Peter Martins.
McCartney said of his involvement: "I am always interested in new directions that I haven't worked in before. So I became very excited about the idea.
"What was interesting was writing music that meant something expressively rather than just writing a song.
"You have fear, love, anger, sadness to play with and I found that exciting and challenging."
Martins and Sir Paul began discussing working together after meeting at the School of American Ballet's Winter Gala in 2010.
Martins said: "Like the rest of my generation, I grew up being a huge fan of The Beatles so I was thrilled to meet him.
"After I got to know him a bit, and knowing of his great love of composing classical music, I asked if he might be interested in doing something for New York City Ballet, and I am ecstatic that he has agreed to write a score for us."
The ballet is a romance set in a royal undersea court and a magical forest.
Costumes for the 90-minute show have been designed by McCartney's daughter, Stella.
The music from Ocean's Kingdom, recorded with the London Classical Orchestra, will be released in October.
It is not the first time McCartney has worked on a classical project.
A collaboration with Carl Davis called Liverpool Oratorio was first heard in 1991.
Since then he has released Working Classical, Standing Stone and Ecce Cor Meum.
Sir Paul was accompanied by his fiancee Nancy Shevell at the premiere at Manhattan's Lincoln Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment